Monday 3 January 2011

First Draft

This is my first draft for my magazine front cover,  feel that there are a lot of things that need to be improved and the page doesnt work well as a whole. I really like the picture I have chosen as it should draw you in as the eyes are looking straight out at you. But I think it is ruined by the cover line- it has been out between two large pieces of text which really takes you eye off the image and too the text, and the main cover line is more noticeable than the masthead. The cover line itself also looks strange and not quite right, I don't think i need the little explanation at the end in blue as it looks too much and it's not needed, but I want to try writing her full name to see if it would make more of an impact. This way I can make the text smaller so impact goes mainly back to the masthead.  I like how I have laid out my masthead, the only thing i don't like is the price next to the date, i think it may look better with the barcode as the barcode if just floating around and looks in the way. But i would keep the date where it is, as it fits it well and doesn't take anything away from the masthead just adds to it in a positive way. I like how my cover lines look but I do think they could do with being re-written as some of them don't sound right for example the 'alert' and 'songs by' ones, they seem too predictable titles and aren't interesting enough to be on the front page. Also I think there is room for another cover line where the barcode currently is. I like how the 'elbow' cover line stands out being in a bubble, but i think putting the embossed effects on it made it look too fussy rather than clean and professional- in my next layout I would loose the effects on it and try the bubble in another contrasting colour like yellow so it stands out more but also put another cover line in yellow so it's not completely alienated.
Overall I think it needs a lot of work, but doing a draft was really useful as it showed me where i was going wrong and how I could improve on what i had done, and keep it all looking very professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment